Monday, November 15, 2010

Its crazy how...

I think its pretty crazy how the Japanese went from an isolated society that viewed foreigners as aliens, to adopting Western traditions in such a short amount of time. I understand that they felt they needed to westernize in order to not get taken over, but it still seems as if they gave up all of their customs pretty fast. And when you look at Japan today, it is still a very westernized society. I just find it strange that a country would give up everything that it stands for and believes in to be in with Western Europe and the US.

1 comment:

  1. I also find it starange that they were willing to give up alot of their culture to adapt to more western traditions but I think Japan knew that they had to westernize or they would be taken over. They had no choice. America wanted the goods that Japan had and if they wernt willing to trade with America they would be taken over. It was probably hard for Japanese citizens to adapt to the new western traditions just like it would be for any country that is about to be taken over but they knew they had no choice.

    ReplyDelete